Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most effective methods of Search Engine Marketing and is defined as is the process of increasing and improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from the search engines like Google, Yahoo! and MSN via natural (organic) search results for specific and targeted keywords.
In fact, SEO is so powerful that can bring a lot of visitors to your website. It is, by far, the most effective methods because of these 3 obvious reasons:
1. The Traffic is FREE.
You don´t need to pay a dime for getting visitors through this method. So, this traffic is not based on pay per click, pay per impression, pay per view or anything like that. You will get tons of visitors at absolutely no cost.
2. The Traffic is Unlimited.
Actually, there is not any limitation for the volume of traffic. Because the search engines are the most popular places for people to find websites, so there is a big crowd looking for your website via search engines. Since you won´t have to pay anything, then there won´t be any budget restriction that would limit the traffic volume. The traffic is there and most of it can be yours.
3. The Traffic is Targeted.
Like I said before, people usually go to the search engines to find something by searching a specific keyword and see the results. So, if you optimize your website in a way that would come up in the search results, then chances are that people would see your website and find what they wanted. So, this traffic is called targeted and converts better. It is your visitors that decide to visit your website and are aware of this fact.
With that being said, it is too important to know the basics of SEO and implement this strategy when you are building your website. Although, this step is a part of marketing a website, but it should be started from the very first steps of building a website. It might even begin at the Brainstorming phase.
The Basics of Search Engine Optimization
First off, I need to admit that SEO is not a simple technique. In fact, it can be regarded as a complicated technology being instructed by professional experts and adopted by industry consultants. Since the rules are always changing, there need to be authority resources updating the needed information and strategies. So, you need to know that SEO is a very complicated science.
OK, I know that you may have been a little bit confused or disappointed. Well, don´t be! Basically, you don´t need to be a guru in this case. I promise if you know the basics of SEO and implement them properly, you will get great results. While learning the latest SEO strategies is always recommended, but it would not be necessary to know every single technique in order to get a lot of traffic to your website from this method.
All the SEO you will need to know is about a few points. Just learn the basics and implement them. Period!
1. The fist step is in the Brainstorming phase. Do you remember that I told you to choose some keywords that are high-demand and low-supply? Well, if you have done it properly, you have already passed the first step of SEO. You need to optimize your web pages around those keywords and key phrases, terms that are not too competitive. If you choose a very competitive keyword, you will have minimal chances to come up in the first page of search results. Bear in mind that showing up in the first page is too vital.
As you may remember from the Niche Finding step, you´d better choose keywords with a reasonable amount of demand meaning more than 100 searches per day and also zero-to-low competition meaning under the 30,000 web pages. That way, your job will be much much easier. Choose the most high-demand keyword as your main keyword and write down the other relevant keywords.
2. Next job is to register a domain name including your main keyword. Remember, it helps search engine find your website better and figure out the main keyword of your website. They would index it in their database, connect your site to those keywords and display it in the search results.
If the domain name is taken, don´t panic! There is still hope. You can use your keywords in the URL Address or Sub-Domain. It would work, as well.
3. Putting the main keyword of a web page in its “Title Tag” is the next step. The Title Tag is the name of your page and looks like this in your website HTML code in the “Head” section:
<title>The Title Of Your Web Page</title>
Title Tag helps both visitors and search engines figure out what your web page is about. So, it plays a very large role in the SEO technique.
4. Inserting your keywords in other HTML Meta Tags is another SEO basic. As I said before, Meta Tags are some HTML codes inserted in the Head section of your web pages. The most popular ones are Meta Description and Meta Keywords. Put your keywords in the Meta Tags in the right way.
5. Now, it is time to put your keywords in the body of your web page. The first element is your Headline. Adding your keyword in the Headline and at the very beginning of your website is a good sign for your visitors and search engines. Then, use your keywords in the text of your content. You can and should put it as bold, italic and other colors, too.
6. Finally, you have to get some backlinks from other websites with an Anchor Text. Anchor Text is a visible hyperlinked text on a website. For instance, instead of inserting http://www.makeawebsitenow.com, you could use an Anchor Text like this one: Make a Website Now and point it to that URL Address. That way, both people and search engines would get a better picture of the inserted link and follow it right to the web page.
Something that you should consider all the time is that don´t ever try to cheat search engines by overdoing something or overusing your keywords in your text. If search engines find it out, which they definitely do, they will consider your web pages as SPAM, punish you and ban your website from their database. Then, you will no longer have any single chance to come up in the search results. That way, you would miss a great opportunity. So don´t do it!
You see, these are the basics of SEO that you should learn and implement. So, it would not seem to be hard if you know what to do. Trust me, if you take the above-mentioned tips into account and use them in your site building process, you will get tons of FREE and targeted traffic. So, don´t overlook this method!
Actually, there are a lot of tips and tricks about Search Engine Optimization that I don’t know and I don’t think I need to know. But, the choice is yours. You can move forward and learn more about this great technique. With that being said, please get the information and tools from reliable resources; places where give you the right SEO tips, advice and tools. Traffic Travis is one of those reliable resources that helps you improve your website’s search engine ranking with a powerful software. Check it out and see for yourself!
Stay tuned and get more tips and tricks by subscribing to my Blog RSS Feed. You would not want to miss any single post, would you?